It has been a long winter here in Upper Michigan, but it is finally starting to warm up. It seemed good to fire up the grill without having to huddle around it to keep warm. When you’re tight for time hot dogs can be a great choice for lunch or supper. They grill quickly and there so many different combinations of condiments that can be used.
I adapted this Western Hotdogs Recipe from my son’s blog, at blogchef.net, with a few minor changes. This is a simple recipe featuring a combination of delicious flavors.
The next time, you’re tight on time but are in the mood to fire up the grill give this Western Hotdogs Recipe a try. Enjoy
Western Hot Dogs Recipe
- 2/3 cup barbeque sauce (divided)
- 6 all-beef hot dogs
- 6 slices white American cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon (cook until just crispy)
- 1 cup French fried onions
- 6 hot dog buns
- Preheat and prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Lay the buns cut side down on the grill, and grill the buns until lightly toasted. Flip the buns and transfer them to a warming rack or cool side of the grill. Center 1 slice of cheese on each bun.
- Reserve 6 tablespoons of barbecue sauce, for topping the hotdogs, after they are grilled.
- Place the hotdogs on the grill and brush them with barbeque sauce. Roll them occasionally coating them with additional sauce until hotdogs are heated through.
- Place hotdogs in buns along with 1 slice of bacon. Top with 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce and 2 tablespoons of French fried onions.