When I think of spaghetti I always think of the Italian recipes with the tomato sauce. It is like my son pointed out; spaghetti is just the name of the pasta. For something different I decided on this Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe. It’s a simple recipe, but it is time consuming because you have to precook the chicken. I guess in a way it kind of reminds me of a glorified macaroni and cheese dish. Cooking the spaghetti in the chicken broth left over from the chicken I think gives this recipe a little added extra, creating a rich and delicious flavor that melts in your mouth. If you like pasta dishes- you will love this. Enjoy
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 -16 package thin spaghetti
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1- 8 oz package of fresh mushrooms sliced
1/2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 lb cubed Velveeta cheese
1. In a large Dutch oven, fill 1/2 full with water; add salt and pepper if desired; add chicken breast halves.
2. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat; simmer 1 hour or until chicken breasts are done.
3. Remove chicken breasts, reserving broth, and allow chicken to cool; chop chicken meat into bite-size pieces and set aside.
4. Return chicken broth to a boil; add spaghetti noodles and cook to Al dente; drain and set aside.
5. Sauté onion, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender.
6. Combine onion mixture, cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, Velveeta cheese and ½ of the Cheddar cheeses; mix well.
7. Add spaghetti and chopped chicken; mix well.
8. Pour into a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining Cheddar