This Chicken Stir – Fry with Eggplant and Basil Recipe seemed like a great recipe to put on the menu before the fresh summertime vegetables become history. This dish is low calorie with a 2 cup serving equaling only 257 calories. This recipe originates from a Mayo Clinic cookbook.
There are a lot of ingredients, so this recipe does take a little time to put together – but the end result is a delicious blend of flavors. I served this dish over white rice, but the addition of the rice is not necessary so I left it out of the recipe.
Take a break on the healthy side and give this Chicken Stir – Fry with Eggplant and Basil Recipe a try; it’s really good.
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth (divided)
- 3 green onions (white and green parts - 2 coarsely chopped, and 1 thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 small eggplant, with peel, diced (about 4 cups – prepare just before using)
- 1 medium yellow onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into julienne
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into julienne
- 1 small orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into julienne
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into strips ½ inch wide and 2 inches long (I used chicken tenders for this and cut them in half crosswise)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place the basil, mint, chopped green onions, ginger, garlic, and broth into a blender or food processor and process until mixture is well chopped and blended. (Not to a puree)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat using 1 tablespoon of olive oil cook the yellow onion, eggplant, and bell peppers to al dente. Remove the vegetable mixture to a bowl, cover to keep warm, and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet, pour in the blended spice mixture and cook over medium high heat stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the chicken and soy sauce and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside. Pour in the other ½ cup of beef broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Return the eggplant mixture to the skillet and cook until heated through; salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Hot garnished with the sliced green onion.