It has been awhile since I have prepared a round steak recipe so when the local market ran them on sale I decided to put this Chuck Wagon Beef Recipe on the menu. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require much prep time, but does take kind of a long time to cook. If you have the time it is well worth the effort. I decided to serve this dish over rice which worked out quite well.
If you’re looking for something a little different than your normal Swiss steak recipe for round steak, give this Chuck Wagon Beef Recipe a try; it’s really good.
- 6 pieces of round steak (about 1 1/ 2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ Tablespoons Oil for browning
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can cream of celery soup (10.5 ounces condensed)
- 1 can cream of onion soup (10.5 ounces condensed)
- 2 cans water
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- Mix flour and salt in a plastic bag. Place 1-2 pieces of meat in the bag. Using a mallet pound the pieces of meat into the flour; repeat until all pieces are pounded, and floured.
- In a large skillet brown the steak pieces in oil, and drain any excess fat.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the cream of celery soup, cream of onion soup, water, and horseradish sauce. Add pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until tender.
- Serve meat and gravy over rice