This Fresh Fish Cakes Recipe is another recipe that the family really liked but I kind of lost track of it through the years. Even though the family really liked it I didn’t prepare it very often because it is somewhat time consuming. What this recipe is mainly doing is combining the fish with mashed potatoes and chopped onions. If you have ever prepared mashed potato cakes before the consistency of the recipe is the same. I used tilapia in this recipe and it was really good. You could use salmon, or trout, but you would be risking a fishy flavor which I personally don’t care for. Most of the time involved in preparing this recipe is precooking the fish and the potatoes. The fish mixture is on the soft side so when you form the patties, handle them carefully to keep them from coming apart. I prepared the recipe as written-this is a large recipe so you may want to cut it in half.
If you like fish patties or cakes give this recipe a try. Enjoy
- 1¼ pounds fish fillets
- 2½ pounds potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (melted)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Oil for frying
- Place the fish and potatoes in a large kettle. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender. Set aside and let cool.
- After the potato mixture has cooled, run the mixture through a hand, or electric grinder; then mix in the rest of the ingredients. (Mixture will be very moist)
- Form the mixture into patties or cakes then coat them with bread crumbs. Fry in oil on medium high heat until brown.