I am not usually a fan of steak sauce, but when I saw this Grilled Sirloin Steak Burgers with Homemade Steak Sauce recipe I decided to give it a try. The steak sauce recipe has raisins as one of the ingredients, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about that, but I tried it anyway; and it was delicious.
I grilled the burger topped with the steak sauce, toasted the buns; put it all together with fresh tomatoes and onion from the garden and it made for a perfect cookout on Labor day week-end.
This recipe is a little bit of work but well worth the effort-give it a try and enjoy.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1½ pounds lean ground sirloin
- 4 hamburger buns
- Ingredients for steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅔ cups beef broth
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Using an 8 inch skillet melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the garlic and mix in the onion powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant. Pour all the mixture into a bowl, return 1 tablespoon to the skillet, and set the bowl aside.
- To make the steak sauce using the same skillet mix in the tomato paste and cook over medium heat until paste begins to darken. Mix in the broth, raisins, soy sauce, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until raisins are plump. Mix in a blender until mixture is smooth.
- Place the ground sirloin in a large bowl, add 5 tablespoons of the butter mixture, soy sauce and mix together until well blended. Divide into 4, and form 4 patties about ¾ inch thick pushing a little pocket into the center. Brush each patty with 1 tablespoon of steak sauce. Combine remaining butter mixture with remaining steak sauce and set aside.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Clean and oil the cooking grates and grill covered to desired doneness; Turning occasionally. Remove the burgers from the grill and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Spread steak sauce over the cut side of the buns and grill cut side down until browned. (This is fast so watch them close)
- Serve burger on the buns topped with remaining steak sauce and your favorite condiments.