This Herbed Lamb or Beef Stew Recipe is just excellent. What a great combination of spices and other ingredients. This recipe was handed off to me by my boss. He said it was great-he was right- my whole family enjoyed it. Use fresh spices instead of dried if you have them available and double the amount. This recipe originally called for 2 cups water with beef bouillon granules. I changed it to beef stock instead. This is a great fall meal. Give it a try you’ll love it. Enjoy!
1 ½ pounds of lamb or beef stew meat, cut into ¾ inch cubes
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 bay leaf
3 cups of beef stock
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
4 medium carrots sliced ½ inch thick ( I used baby carrots )
4 stalks of celery- sliced one inch thick
1 large potatoe or 2 medium cut into one inch cubes
2 medium onions cut into sliced wedges
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup all purpose flour
1. In a fry pan brown the stew meat, one half at a time in the oil.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven combine the browned stew meat, 3 cups of beef stock and all the spices. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add all the vegetables and cook until tender.
4. Combine the flour and sour cream along with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Then add ½ cup of the cooking broth to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Then combine the mixture back into the stew.
5. Cook until thickened and you are ready to eat.