This is without a doubt one of the best lasagna recipes ever! Not only is it very authentic but it is also very delicious. Lasagna is one of the most popular Italian dishes on the planet. It is usually a favorite in many households. As with most lasagna recipes, this does require a little work but I can assure you, it’s worth it! It is always a good idea after you cook the noodles to separate them. Otherwise, if they stick together, it could cause problems when you are assembling the dish. Serve with garlic bread.
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese (sliced)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large skillet over medium heat brown sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water. Add basil, sugar, fennel seed, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of parsley.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. In a medium bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley and 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix well.
4. To assemble lasagna – spread 1 ½ cups of the meat mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 13” baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles length wise over the meat sauce. Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles evenly. Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spread 1 ½ cups of the meat sauce over the cheese slices and sprinkle ¼ cup of parmesan cheese on top. Repeat the layers and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.
5. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes remove the foil and bake for another 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and serve.