This Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe is quick and simple to put together and is super-rich in chocolate.
With several birthdays taking place within a month I needed a cake recipe that wouldn’t take up a lot of my time. My thinking was “well were all adults so a basic sheet cake should at least do the trick.” This sheet cake turned out to be a pleasant surprise, served with a couple scoops of ice cream, it was delicious.
If you’re in the mood for cake give this Simple Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe a try; it’s quick and simple to put together, and your family will love it.
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (shaved-I used mini chocolate chips for this)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- I teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Shift the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl; whisk to combine.
- Place the chocolate and butter into a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power. Stir the chocolate butter mixture with a spoon until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- In a large size bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the butter milk and mix until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate mixture until well combined and then add the dry ingredients; mix until batter is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the batter into a 13 x 9 baking pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 40 minutes and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour before frosting.
Adapted from Baking Illustrated