This Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe is quick and simple to put together and is super-rich in chocolate.
With several birthdays taking place within a month I needed a cake recipe that wouldn’t take up a lot of my time. My thinking was “well we’re all adults so a basic sheet cake should at least do the trick.” This sheet cake turned out to be a pleasant surprise, served with a couple of scoops of ice cream, it was delicious.
If you’re in the mood for cake give this Simple Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe a try; it’s quick and simple to put together, and your family will love it.
Simple Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe
- A ¾ cup of cocoa
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (shaved-I used mini chocolate chips for this)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- I teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Shift the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl; whisk to combine.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11830″][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/cake-prep-1.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”cake-prep-1″ alt=”cake-prep-1″][/url]
- Place the chocolate and butter into a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes at 50% power. Stir the chocolate butter mixture with a spoon until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11831″][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/cake-prep-2.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”cake-prep-2″ alt=”cake-prep-2″][/url]
- In a large size bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the butter milk and mix until smooth.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11832″][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/cake-prep-3.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”cake-prep-3″ alt=”cake-prep-3″][/url]
- Mix in the chocolate mixture until well combined and then add the dry ingredients; mix until batter is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the batter into a 13 x 9 baking pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11833″][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/cake-prep-4.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”cake-prep-4″ alt=”cake-prep-4″][/url]
- Bake for 40 minutes and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before frosting.
Adapted from Baking Illustrated