With the summer starting to come to an end I decided to do one more Zucchini recipe. One of my sons were home from college over the week end and wiped out all the sweets I had on hand; including what was in the freezer. So to stock up the sweet treats department I decided on this Zucchini Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe. The original recipe calls for a 9 x 13 cake pan, but I decided on taking the cup cake route instead which translates into 24 cup cakes. This works out better for me in the freezer; I can just take one cupcake, and microwave it for 50 seconds to go with my coffee.
This is a simple recipe with not a lot of prep time. I followed the recipe as written-if you decide to bake a cake, instead of the cupcakes, increase the baking time to about 1 hour.
(I used a sugar substitute and sugar free frosting in this recipe)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar (sugar substitute – Optional)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini (grated)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts
Preheat oven to 325F
1. Cream butter then add oil and sugar; mix with mixer.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and nuts; mix well.
3. Fold in the chips and nuts by hand.
4. Spoon into cupcake tins lined with liners to about 3/ 4’s full.
5. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool and top with your favorite frosting.
(These cupcake are very moist and have a great chocolate flavor they are delicious even without frosting)