Clam chowder cooked from scratch is delectable and, and itple to make, and it is pleasant and creamy while still being light. This recipe for creamy clam chowder is packed with succulent clams, smooth potatoes, and salty bacon.
Despite how simple this soup is, the flavours work beautifully together. Bell peppers are one of my favourite extra vegetables to add since they offer flavour, colour, and crunch. Try dipping it into this Crostini or this French Baguette! It truly kicks it up a notch and provides a simple means of including the ideal side dish. Don’t hesitate to give this a shot. This recipe will undoubtedly elicit a “WOW!” from every member of your family and friends.
What is Clams Clowder?
Clam chowder is any of several chowder soups that contain clams in American cuisine. Along with clams, other common ingredients include diced potatoes, salt pork, and onions, and other vegetables are rarely used. Clams have been used in chowder because they are relatively easy to harvest.
This rich, heavy clam chowder is delicious. There are clams in almost every meal, which is fantastic because restaurants typically serve a lot of cream and few vegetables. Homemade clam chowder is, in my opinion, far more delightful than eating out.
With only 1 cup of cream in the pot, this creamy clam chowder recipe isn’t as sinful but still tastes decadent (WINNING!). It rivals the best clam chowder we’ve ever had, and simple ingredients and easy preparation are used. If you like, you can begin with fresh clams, but utilizing canned clams is far simpler and less expensive than buying clams by the pound.
Nutrition: Per serving
- 433 Kcal
- 29g Fat
- 16g Saturates
- 19g Carbs
- 4g Sugars
- 2g Fibre
- 22g Protein
- 2.9g Salt
Directions for Making Clam Chowder
It’s a dish that’s simpler to prepare than you may imagine! The next time you want the soup to warm you up on a chilly night, make this bowlful of warmth. This dish boasts a deep flavor even better than Panera’s clam chowder.
If you didn’t know, making clam chowder is a reasonably easy soup that only requires a few items from your cupboard. While some recipes call for fresh clams, for a variety of reasons, we prefer to use canned clams.
- It is unquestionably more straightforward because all you need to do is open the can. Done.
- It is inexpensive at $2.99 per can instead of $9.99 per pound.
- Lastly, using canned clams and juices adds a lot more flavour. You also get many more clams you don’t get when you order takeout.
Ingredients for Clam Chowder
This recipe’s rather lengthy list of ingredients doesn’t be put off. The likelihood is that your pantry already contains most of what you need.
- Lean bacon: The bacon gives this meal the most incredible extra flavour!
- All-purpose flour
- Low sodium chicken broth or stock
- Chopped clams
- Essential Vegetables: Carrots, Celery ribs, Onions, and Potatoes
- Simple Seasonings: Bay Leaf, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, Dried Thyme, Salt, and Black Pepper
- Milk and Whipping cream
Best Recipe for Clam Chowder
Step 1: Drain the clams thoroughly after rinsing them in cold water several times. Put 500ml of water in a big pan and add the clams. To cook the clams until they have just opened, cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour the pan’s contents into a colander set over a dish to catch the clam stock. Remove the clams from their shells when they are cold enough to handle, reserving a few empty shells if you choose for display. Leave any grit in the bottom of the bowl as you strain the clam stock into a jug. You ought to have about 800 ml of stock.
Step 2: In the same pan you heated the butter in, cook the bacon for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Stirring often, simmer the mixture gently for 10 minutes, or until the onion is tender and yellow. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir it in to form a sandy paste. Cook for two more minutes, then stir in the clam stock, milk, and cream gradually.
Step 3: Add the potatoes, bring the mixture to a simmer, and let the potatoes cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. To help the mixture thicken, smash a few potato chunks against the pan’s edge with a fork. Lots of distinct chips are still preferred, though. If you want to, stir in the clam meat and a few clam shells before simmering for a minute to reheat. Add a good amount of black pepper and salt, and toss in the parsley immediately before serving in bowls or hollowed-out rolls.
- Be sure to eat the bacon. Every taste is just enticing, thanks to the flavorful addition of that tiny amount of bacon, which is used both as a topping and as an ingredient in the soup.
- Omit the bacon and swap the chicken broth with vegetable broth or any suitable alternative to make this clam chowder vegetarian.
- As the soup cools, it will thicken even more. You can thin it out if necessary by inserting extra milk or chicken broth and re-boiling it.
- You can find that lovely Dutch oven here (affiliate link). Additionally, it’s more enjoyable to cook in one of them because it feels cute and country to move bacon around with a wooden spatula. Cooks have been used in the dutch oven for generations.
How to Make it a Complete Meal?
This clam chowder is unique, so don’t throw it out! Make it a complete meal by adding sides and a delectable dessert. Create a party by inviting everyone you know! Everyone should try this fantastic clam chowder!
- Include salad: Salad and soup are natural partners. With their complementary warm and chilly flavours, they are ideal. Try preparing this wedge salad to accompany it because they go so well together!
- Bake some bread: Chowder isn’t complete without some bread to dip into! Buy a loaf of fresh French bread from the supermarket! Alternatively, go above and beyond by baking this incredible crostini or French baguette to go with it!
- Don’t forget dessert! Never undervalue the impact of a mouthwatering dessert to end your meal. With these Best Ever Pecan Pie Bars, you can go straightforward, delectable, or a little fancier and offer this stunning Black Forest Cake!
What is Clam Chowder from New England?
Common ingredients in New England clam chowder are clams, potatoes, onions, salted pork, and milk or cream. The significant distinction from other chowders is the presence of dairy. Settlers in the 1700s first consumed a traditional American dish, New England clam chowder.
What Varieties of Clam Chowder are there?
Clam chowder is sometimes referred to as Manhattan clam chowder, New England clam chowder, or Boston clam chowder. What makes a difference, then? The terms “Boston clam chowder” and “New England clam chowder” refer to the same dish! A creamy or broth-based soup made with potatoes, vegetables, and clams is known as New England (or Boston) clam chowder. That applies to this recipe. A crimson, tomato-based chowder with clams and vegetables is called Manhattan chowder.
Which Clam Chowder is Most Widely Consumed?
There are many other types of chowder to select from, but the creamy clam variation is by far the most well-known and well-liked. The ingredients for this soup, often known as Boston Clam Chowder, are clams, potatoes, onions, and occasionally salt pork. It is offered with a base of milk or cream.
What Distinguishes Manhattan Clam Chowder from Rhode Island Clam Chowder?
The three most popular regional versions are New England or “white” clam chowder, which contains milk or cream; Manhattan or “red” clam chowder, which also includes tomatoes, and Rhode Island or “clear” clam chowder, which excludes both.
How is Clam Chowder Thickened?
Either additional starch or more fat can be added to clam chowder to make it thicker. It is advisable to use flour or cornstarch to thicken clam chowder. Using potatoes or crackers to thicken clam chowder that has already been cooked is an alternative method. Heavy cream can also be substituted. Most of the time, these ingredients (cornstarch, potatoes, xanthan gum, crackers, flour, and potatoes ) are readily available.
How to Keep Leftovers Clam Chowder Safe?
The leftovers from this clam chowder recipe are delicious! The next day is even better! Please place it in an airtight container once it has cooled. It will stay 3–4 days in your refrigerator, so go ahead and do that! Oyster crackers, cooked bacon that has been diced, and fresh chives are traditional clam chowder garnishes.
How Come Clam Chowder is Gritty?
If it’s gritty, the clams’ leftover sand is almost probably the cause. The clams must be cooked after spending some time soaking in salt water. Soak for at least an hour using 1 tablespoon of salt per litre of water (3 is better). The clams will have more time to get rid of their grit.
How Long Until Clam Chowder Spoils?
Cooked clam chowder will last for 3 to 4 days if stored correctly in the fridge. To extend the shelf life of cooked clam chowder, even more, it can be frozen. To extend shelf life, freeze it in tightly sealed, airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
Clam soup cooked from scratch is rich, filling, and delicious. To eat the chowder, you need some crackers or dinner rolls. The time for soup has come, and I am ready for it! I adore this time of year because there are so many fresh soup ideas to try! Nothing compares to dipping some delicious bread into hot soup. This clam chowder is delicious and unbelievably excellent! And there are tonnes of clams there as well! This clam chowder is a terrific place to start if you’re as eager for soup season as I am! It will begin the season and entice you to return for more!