The first time I was introduced Biscuits and Breakfast Sausage Gravy was down south when I was truck driving. Back in those days they were not on the menu here in the local restaurants, but now they are a popular item. Unfortunately most of the restaurants that serve this dish don’t care to limit the fat content. That’s the great part about creating your own homemade Biscuits and Gravy; you can limit the fat content. I like this dish, but I still don’t cook it very often because even though you can limit the fat content by making your own, it is still pork sausage and by nature will still be somewhat high in fat and calories.
However if you want a great tasting breakfast treat, go for it. Give this Biscuits and Breakfast Sausage Gravy Recipe a try, you’ll love it.
|Biscuits and Pork Sausage Gravy Recipe||
- 1 (12 ounce) package pork sausage (or maple flavored sausage)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 6 Biscuits (I just love the Pillsbury Grands with this recipe)
- Heat a large deep skillet to medium high heat. Add sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with a metal spatula while cooking. Cook until sausage is browned. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon reserving the fat drippings in the pan. Kind of use your own judgment on the fat, if the sausage was too fatty drain some of it out before making the gravy. Set sausage pieces aside.
- Add butter to the pan and stir until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to medium and cook until light brown. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook until the mixture has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in cooked sausage. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a little more milk.
- Step 3: Serve over biscuits.