Brown sugar and butter blazed over winter squash – absolutely delicious.
Every year I look forward to the winter squash varieties with my favorite being the butternut because of its smooth texture. However, this recipe will work just as well for almost any winter squash.
Adapted from Cooks Country Recipe BookPrint
Brown-Sugar-Glazed Winter Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash or buttercup squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 ½ tablespoons butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Lightly spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray. Place oven rack at the upper-middle position, place an empty baking sheet in the oven and preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place squash on the baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until flesh is tender. ( a fork inserted in the skin should go easily in)
- In a small saucepan melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar.
- Flip squash to cut side up and using a pastry brush generously coat with the brown sugar butter mixture.
- Switch the oven to broil, and broil until squash starts to brown and a glaze is formed.