Out of habit we generally have fish on Friday, and along with the fish I like to serve a baked beans side dish. I decided to change this a little bit and prepare this California Barbecued Beans Recipe.
This recipe does take a considerable amount of time to prepare, but if you have the time, it is well worth the effort. The dominant spice in this recipe is cilantro if you don’t care for this; just omit it. The BBQ beans are really good even without it.
Give this California Barbecued Beans Recipe a try; it’s really good.
Serves 4-6 or more as a side dish.
Adapted from Cooks Country cookbookPrint
California Barbecued Beans Recipe
- 1 pound pinked kidney beans (soaked in 6 cups water overnight)
- 4 slices bacon (cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces)
- ½ pound deli ham (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 cups of water
- 8 ounces tomato puree
- ½ cup taco sauce
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat cook bacon and ham until fat is rendered from the bacon and mixture is slightly browned. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the garlic to the meat mixture and continue cooking until fragrant. Mix in the water and beans, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a medium simmer and cook for 1 hour or until beans are just soft.
- Stir in the tomato puree, taco sauce, sugar, dry mustard, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Continue cooking uncovered until mixture thickens and beans are tender; about 1 hour. (If mixture thickens before beans are done add extra water.)
- Mix in the cilantro and vinegar – serve hot.