I don’t use ground chicken as an ingredient very often so I decided to give this Chicken and Sausage Chili Recipe a try. I figured the ground chicken would be a good healthy alternative as compared to the ground beef that is normally used.
This Chicken and Sausage Chili Recipe is loaded with ingredients which give the chili a unique flavor. Depending on taste I would say there is room to turn up the heat a little bit by adding additional cayenne pepper.
Unlike many slow cooker recipes, this is not a set it and forget it a recipe, you have to make yourself available for at least for a few hours to go through the processes the recipe calls for. Once the chili is on the low temperature you can let it go, and do whatever the day needs you to do.
This is not a typical chili recipe, but it is very good and well worth the effort to prepare. Give this one a try. Enjoy
Chicken and Sausage Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¾ pound Italian Sausage
- 3 cans stewed tomatoes (14.5 ounces each)
- ½ cup beer
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cans tomato paste (6 ounces each)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Mix the following ingredients directly into the slow cooker – stewed tomatoes, beer, hot sauce, bouillon cubes, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Set the slow cooker on high and cook for 1 hour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet and cook the onion until starting to brown. Add the chicken to the skillet; breaking up and cooking until browned. Add the mixture into the slow cooker. Using the same skillet, and the other tablespoon of olive oil, break up and brown the sausage. Drain any excess fat if needed. Add the sausage to the slow cooker.
- Mix the tomato paste and kidney beans into the slow cooker and continue cooking on high for 2 hours.
- Change the slow cooker temperature to low and cook for an additional 4 hours.