I don’t know why; but it never accrued to me to include bacon in a Chile recipe. When I saw this Chili with Bacon and Black Beans recipe, a light came on; I thought nice, give it a try. It is a simple recipe, but there is quite a bit of prep and cooking time. The recipe the way it is, is a little on the hot side, but I think it’s mostly me, because I don’t like a lot of heat. My wife said it was just right, so add the hot peppers to taste. I think you could very easily turn this into a slow cooker recipe, instead of using a Dutch oven, use the slow cooker. I am sure the longer it cooks the better. The Bacon and Black beans are a nice touch, so the next time you want some hot chili on a cold night, give this Chili with Bacon and Black Beans recipe a try. Enjoy
|Chili with Bacon and Black Beans||
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 8 oz package of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fry bacon in large fry pan on medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and add the beef; cook, breaking up pieces until browned.
- In a large pot, or Dutch oven, pour in the diced tomatoes, Tomato puree and black beans and salt to taste.
- Bring the chili mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If chili gets too thick and starts to stick-add some water.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side to garish, and top with cheddar cheese. (Optional)