This is a great side dish recipe, especially if you have leftover rice from another meal. I used freshly cooked rice for this recipe, but from experience, it does cook a little better with rice that is precooked and allowed to cool; if you use leftover rice break up any large clumps with a spoon before cooking.
Chinese Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups water
- A ¾ cup of rice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 green onions (chopped/ white and green parts)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 green pepper (finely chopped – about a ½ cup)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Mix together the water and rice in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook rice until tender and liquid is absorbed. (About 20 minutes)
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat using the oil, add the rice and cook until lightly browned. Add the green onions, carrots, peppers, peas, and salt; cook until tender – crisp.
- Spread the mixture out to form a pocket in the bottom of the skillet, crack the egg into the center and scramble the egg while it cooks. Mix the scrambled egg into the vegetable mixture.
- Mix in the soy sauce, sesame oil, and parsley – serve immediately. Enjoy
Adapted from Mayo Clinic