Use your favorite store bought Italian sausage links, or make your own. The vegetables in this recipe turn this sandwich into a delicious combination of flavors. This is a simple recipe that cooks fairly quick – if you like sausage and pepper combos give this one a try; it’s really good.
Italian Sausage – peppers and onions in a Bun
- 5 – 6 Italian sausage links (if you use store bought there is usually 5 in a package)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion (halved and sliced)
- 1/2 medium red onion (sliced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup white wine
- 6 brat buns
- Prep vegetables and onions according to ingredients list.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown sausage on both sides; remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the onions and garlic over medium heat for about 3 minutes, using the butter.
- Add the wine, green pepper, red pepper, and seasonings. Bring the mixture to a boil and work the sausages into the pepper mixture. Cook covered until vegetables are tender and sausage is done.
- Serve with a link of sausage topped with the vegetable mixture.
Inspired by Allrecipies.com