This Cracker Crusted Deep Fried Chicken Recipe uses saltine crackers as its main ingredient in the chicken coating. It makes the chicken nice and crispy and gives it a unique flavor. For brining the chicken the directions say 1 to 4 hours; but I was a little tight on time so I let it brine for an hour, which worked really well. However, I am sure longer would be better if you have the time.
This recipe is simple but time-consuming. From a flavor standpoint, it’s really good, so if you have the time give it a try.
Cracker Crusted Deep Fried Chicken Recipe
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 36 square saltines (1 sleeve crushed with a rolling pin into crumbs)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 ½ quart cold water
- In a large bowl mix together the cold water, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of salt. Place the chicken in the brine mixture and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours.
- While chicken is brining in a large bowl mix together the flour, cracker crumbs, cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons pepper, and baking powder.
- Remove the chicken from the brine 1 piece at a time and roll them into the cracker crumb mixture pressing to adhere the crumbs to the chicken. Place each piece of chicken on a wire rack over the top of a baking pan to catch any crumbs falling off the chicken. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is resting heat oil to 350F. Depending on the size of your deep fryer cook chicken in batches until pieces are golden brown and done. (160F. for breasts – 175F. for dark meat) place chicken on a serving platter lined with paper toweling.
Adapted from Cooks Country