Even now that my kids have grown up Macaroni and Cheese still is a favorite side dish for us to serve with a variety of different main dishes. We sometimes serve it as a main dish, depending on the kind of mood the family is in; or in other words, what everyone would like for supper. After a successful fishing trip-we decided on a fish fry, and made this Fannie Farmer’s Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe as a side dish. The Macaroni and Cheese along with the fresh caught and deep fried fish were an excellent combination. This Fannie Farmer’s Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese is a simple recipe that doesn’t take much time, and does not require a lot of ingredients. Give this recipe a try, and enjoy.
|Fannie Farmer’s Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe|
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded good quality
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, buttered
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter, add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly, Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly)for 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.