I was a great year here for apples and I have a lot of them in storage so when I saw this Fresh Cranberry Apple Crisp Recipe I decided to give it a try. This is just pretty much a standard apple crisp recipe with fresh and dried cranberries.
The combination of the apples and cranberries is delicious and the red coloring from the cranberries makes it a colorful dish to serve. Serve this Fresh Cranberry Apple Crisp Recipe warm, with whip cream, or ice cream and it doesn’t get much better than that.
Adapted from Cooks Country Cook Book with a few minor changes.
Fresh Cranberry Apple Crisp Recipe
Ingredients for Topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (Chilled and sliced)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
Apple and cranberry ingredients
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 1/4 pounds tart apples (I used Paula Reds for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tapioca
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and butter with a fork pressing until gravel like mixture forms.
- Add the rolled oats, and then using your hands’ press and fold the oatmeal into the mixture until forming pea-size pieces. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cook the Cranberries in the water and 1/2 cup sugar until a jam-like consistency is reached. This will kind of look like store-bought cranberry sauce. Set aside
- Peel and core the apples and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Combine the apples and cranberries in a large kettle or Dutch oven and then add the dried cranberries and the rest of the sugar.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring frequently until apples start to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the tapioca.
- Spread the mixture into an 8 x 8 casserole dish and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.