In an attempt to keep supper on the healthy side I decided to give this Southwestern Chicken and Pasta Recipe a try. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require many ingredients, cooks quickly, and has a good combination of flavors. When I prepared this recipe I used mild salsa because I don’t like a lot of heat, but if you want to turn up the heat a little bit just use medium or hot salsa.
Healthy Southwestern Chicken and Pasta Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked rigatoni
- 1 pound chicken tenders (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A ¼ cup of salsa
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce (unsalted)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces – drained and rinsed)
- A ½ cup of frozen corn
- ¼ cup shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese (Co-Jack)
- Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Drain and rinse.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, using the olive oil, cook the chicken until no longer pink inside.
- Stir in the salsa, tomato sauce, black beans, pasta, and corn. Mix in the seasonings and continue cooking until heated through.
- Serve hot garnished with the cheese.