Colorful and tasty for the Holidays; this Krispy Cream Donut knock of recipe is pretty good. I don’t think it’s exactly the same but pretty close. It’s been a long time since I made donuts so I decided to make some up, and add some Christmas color. I have been making a lot more sweet treats than usual; time to cut it back before I gain 20 lbs over the Holidays. This Krispy Cream Donut recipe is a simple recipe, but it is time consuming due to the time needed for the dough to rise. I think you could help yourself out a bunch with this if you used a Bread Machine to make the dough. Why I didn’t think of that till now I don’t know; getting old I guess. Enjoy
|Krispy Cream Donut Recipe||
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 4 eggs ( beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 7 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Mix together ingredients for glaze.
- Melt butter in hot milk, add 1 tsp sugar and salt. Allow to cool.
- Beat in yeast, nutmeg, eggs, remaining sugar, and 3 cups flour.
- Add rest of flour (dough will be sticky).
- Knead for 5 minutes then allow to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Roll out dough, cut into shapes.
- Do not re-roll dough, then allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat oil to 365° and fry 1 – 2 minutes on each side or until brown. Toss in the doughnut holes first, let those cook, and then proceed to cooking the donuts.
- Let them cool on a paper towel – helps get the glaze to stick.
- Dip in warm glaze.