One dish recipes are always appealing to me and the combination of chorizo sausage and pork chops just added to the appeal. This One Dish Pork Chops with Dirty Rice is a fairly simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep or cooking time.
One Dish Pork Chops with Dirty Rice
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 bone-in pork rib chops (I used an assorted variety pack because that’s is all that was available)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage (this is the smoked version – cut in half lengthwise and then cut into ¼ pieces crosswise)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 3 green onions (sliced thin)
- In a medium size microwavable bowl mix together the rice and 1 ¼ cups chicken broth; cover. Microwave on high for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; fluff with a fork.
- While rice is cooking season pork chops generously with salt and pepper. In a 12 inch skillet using the oil brown the chops on one side for 4 – 6 minutes; set chops aside on a plate.
- Reserve about 1 tablespoon of fat in the skillet and cook the onion, red pepper, and sausage until vegetables are softened. Mix in the thyme, Cajun seasoning, and garlic and continue cooking for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the remaining chicken broth stirring any dripping from the bottom of the pan, and then mix in the pre-cooked rice.
- Arrange the pork chops on top of the rice mixture, cover, and cook on low heat for 8 – 10 minutes or until pork chops are 145F and the rice is tender.
- Remove pork chops to a serving platter, cover with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. (when removing the chops scrap any rice sticking to the chops back into the pan)
- Add the green onions into the rice mixture and serve with the chops; Enjoy.
Adapted from Cooks Country