The next time you’re in the mood for Chinese food give this Oriental Chicken Thighs Recipe a try. It’s a little on the sweet side; but really good. The Chinese five spice powder, and red pepper flakes, creates a delicious combination of flavors for this dish. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep time and cooks fairly quick.
Oriental Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed and trimmed)
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- Green onions for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a medium size bowl mix all the sauce ingredients together except for the cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons of cold water; stir mixture until sugar is dissolved.
- In a large skillet using the olive oil lightly brown the chicken on both sides. Pour the sauce over the chicken, reduce heat to a high simmer, cover and cook turning chicken occasionally until chicken is done. (About 30 minutes – 185F)
- Dissolve the cornstarch in cold water, remove the chicken to a serving platter, and stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce; continue cooking until sauce has thickened.
- Serve sauce over chicken garnished with sliced green onion slices.
- I served this recipe over long grain white rice – I think it would also be very good over hash browns.
Adapted from Taste of Home cookbook