Calzones are a great way to switch up the usual pizza routine some of us get stuck in. These are amazing and never fail to please the whole family. They are super cheesy, moist, flavorful, and very filling. The best part is that they can be customized with whatever toppings you enjoy—add cooked veggies or other cooked meats, cheese, or sauces to make it your own! From Cully’s Kitchen to yours!
Pizza Calzones Recipe
- 2 tubes pizza crust dough (13-15oz)
- 15oz pizza sauce
- 4oz shredded mozzarella
- 8oz block mozzarella (cubed)
- 5oz sliced pepperoni
- 1lb Italian sausage
- Seasoned Oil Spread:
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven per directions on pizza crust dough. Cook Italian sausage in a frying pan and mince into small pieces with a spatula then drain the excess grease.
- Grease a baking sheet with oil spray. Unroll pizza crust dough and cut each in half (you will have 4 total). Take 1 half and spread it without ripping any holes in the dough (if you have holes in the dough, take a small piece from the out edge and work it in so the hole is patched).
- In the center of the spread-out dough, start with 1/8 cup of pizza sauce then add 1/8 cup of shredded mozzarella, pepperoni (approximately 8 slices), a ¼ cup of Italian sausage, about 5 pieces of cubed block mozzarella and finish with another 1/8 cup of pizza sauce.
- Take the 4 edges of the dough and pull them over the heap in the middle and use your fingers to work the dough together at the seams. It is important not to have any holes in the dough where the inside of the calzone can leak out.
- Gently lift the calzone, flip over, and place it onto your greased baking sheet (the seams should be at the bottom).
- Mix olive oil, oregano, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and grated parmesan in a small bowl. Use a cooking brush to apply evenly to the top and sides of calzone once on the baking sheet.
- Bake per pizza crust dough directions until the calzone is lightly browned.