This is a one dish meal you and your family will love. These cheesy and Creamy scalloped potatoes are delicious, and the pork turns out nice and tender. The original recipe called for boneless chops but I decided to use bone in to add to the flavor.
Pork Chops with Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 bone-in pork chops (3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup half and half
- 6 medium potatoes (divided) (peeled and thinly sliced)
- ½ cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375F, and grease a 9×13 baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Salt and pepper chops to taste.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook chops until nicely browned on both sides; set chops aside on a plate.
- While chops are browning in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Mix in the thyme and mustard and then add the salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in the flour to form a smooth thick paste and then gradually stir in the half and half and broth. Cook stirring constantly until sauce starts to thicken; remove from heat.
- Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the baking dish and ½ of the diced onion and then top with ½ of the cheese. Arrange pork chops over the cheese, top with the remaining onion and potato slices and pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until chops are done and potatoes are tender. (about 1 hour)
- Remove aluminum foil and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. Switch oven to broil and continue baking until cheese is nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
Adapted from Allrecipes