This Slow Cooker Country Captain Chicken has pretty much the vegetable ingredients as chicken cacciatore but uses much different spicing. The sauce is a little on the sweet side, has a little bit of heat incorporated into the spicing associated with chutney.
If you looking for a good dish that is a little different, give this one a try. This is a recipe that is simple to put together and because it is cooked in the slow cooker it will free up some your time while it is cooking.
Slow Cooker Country Captain Chicken
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 jar chutney (8 ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper chicken. Using the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat cook chicken on both sides until nicely browned; set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet reserving about 1 tablespoon of the fat cook the onion and green pepper seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt until softened. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste; simmer until mixture is thickened and smooth. Off heat and mix in the chutney, garlic, curry powder, paprika, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and arrange the chicken over the bottom of the slow cooker; pour the sauce over the top.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours – serve over cooked rice or noodles. (chicken should be at least 185F)
Adapted from cookscountry