The roasted peppers in this recipe are delicious; they are a nice added touch to what is basically a pepper chicken recipe. I prepared this recipe as written but there is room to add some additional spices if you desire; like maybe some red crushed pepper flakes to give it a little bit of heat.
If you have ever eaten a dish that tastes great with that first bite, but the more you eat, the less you like it – well this dish for me was just the opposite. The first bite I thought it was just ok, but as I ate more of it I thought; Wow – this is really good.
Give this Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne Recipe a try; it’s really good. Enjoy
Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne
- 1 pound chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts (strips cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package penne pasta (16 ounces)
- 1 medium onion (cut in half and thinly sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers (drained and sliced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes and place them in a ziplock bag. Pour in the balsamic vinegar and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes; drain and discard vinegar.
- While chicken is marinating cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Using the oil in a large skillet cook the onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook until juices run clear. Stir in the broth, red pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed tomatoes, and salt.
- Cook until heated through. Fold the chicken-tomato mixture into the pasta.
- Serve hot garnished with the Parmesan cheese
Adapted from The Taste of Home Cookbook