Spring is here and with a lot of yard work on today’s to-do list, I decided on this Slow-Cooker Braised Steaks with Root Vegetable recipe for supper to save some time during the day. This recipe is a delicious combination of sauce and vegetables and because it is done in the slow cooker the chuck steak is supper tender.
The next time you need to free up some time by using your slow cooker give this Slow-Cooker Braised steak with Root Vegetable recipe a try.
Slow-Cooker Braised Steaks with Root Vegetables
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant tapioca
- salt and pepper
- 4 chuck steaks ( about 6 ounces each ¾ to 1 inch thick – I cut large steaks into 4 serving size pieces)
- 12 ounces potatoes (skin on cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 medium carrots (cut into 1-inch pieces – if large cut them in half lengthwise.
- 4 parsnips (peeled cut lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place onion, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, and oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally or until onions have softened; place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tapioca.
- Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper and place them into the slow cooker kind of working them into the sauce.
- Loosely tie the vegetables into a cheesecloth bundle and place them on top of the steaks.
- Cook for 8 – 9 hours on low or 5 – 6 hours on high or until steak and vegetables are tender. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl and serve steak, sauce, and vegetables together.
Adapted from Cooks Country