This Chicken Gumbo Soup Recipe has a good blend of flavors and like most slow cooker recipes there is not much prep time involved. One of the things I like about making soup in the slow cooker is that it is almost impossible to overcook it. If you get tied up on something and can’t get back to the slow cooker on time, the soup just gets better. This is a mildly seasoned recipe with a little bit of a bite from the cayenne pepper. Thyme is the dominant spice in this recipe, so if you don’t care for that seasoning, you may want to decrease the amount a little bit. I prepared the recipe as written and enjoyed a good hot bowl of soup on a winter’s night.
If you want to warm up your night a little bit get this Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo Soup Recipe into the slow cooker in the morning, and by night time, you will have hot soup ready to go on the table. Enjoy
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 package frozen okra (10 ounces-thawed)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups reduced sodium tomato juice
- In a slow-cooker, combine the chicken and all remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.