I needed some time to get some spring clean-up done, so to save some time, I decided on this Slow Cooker Chili with Chocolate Recipe. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep time, and the slow cooking blends the flavors really well. I think this is the second chili dish I have had that has used chocolate as one of the ingredients, which doesn’t sound good in chili to me, but it’s very good. Give it a try, and enjoy.
Adapted from 100 Best Hamburger Recipes CookbookPrint
Slow Cooker Chili with Chocolate Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground chuck)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (divided)
- 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate (shaved)
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (28 ounces)
- 1 can chili beans (15 ounces)
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook onion, 1 clove of garlic, and burger until burger is no longer pink inside.
- While the burger is cooking place the tomatoes, the rest of the garlic, chocolate, hot sauce, and chili beans into the slow cooker and add in the seasonings; salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the burger if needed and add the meat mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.