This Honey Barbecued Chicken is simple to put together and delicious. It only takes about 4 hours in the slow cooker with just a little prep time. There is a good chance you will have everything on hand to put this recipe together.
Slow Cooker Honey Barbecued Chicken
- 4 – 6 bone-in chicken thighs (skin removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, using the oil, cook chicken on both sides until nicely browned; arrange chicken on bottom of the slow cooker. Arrange the sliced onion around the chicken thighs.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the barbecue mixture over the chicken, cover, and cook for 4 – 5 hours on low or until chicken is almost fall off bone tender.
- Layer a broiler pan with aluminum foil. Place the chicken on the foil and spoon some additional barbecue over the top. Place chicken about 8 inches below the element and broil on high until chicken starts to brown.
- (Note: this recipe is very good even if you skip the broiler step)