I was kind of surprised. All the freeze warning coming out of Florida and our local grocery store ran strawberries on sale from Florida. They were pretty good besides.
Even though here in Upper Michigan it is the way too early to be thinking about fresh berries the thought still gets me excited. Bananas and strawberries what a great combination.
When I saw this recipe I just had to give it a try. This Strawberry Banana Cream Pie Recipe is just delicious. It is very easy to create and does not require much prep time.
The recipe says to let it set for a few hours. If you are in a rush it sets quickly allowing you to serve it much sooner. Enjoy
Strawberry Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-pint strawberry, sliced
- 1 9 in. graham cracker crust
- 1 large banana or 2 small bananas, peeled and sliced
- whipped cream, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Blend together egg yolks and milk.
- Stir small amount of milk mixture into dry ingredients, making a smooth paste.
- Gradually blend in remaining milk mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Allow boiling for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in the bowl of ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
- Arrange Strawberries in the bottom of the pie shell, reserving about 1/4 of them for garnish.
- Pour half of the custard over berries.
- Layer bananas over custard layer and top with remaining custard.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Garnish with reserved berries and whipped cream.