I couldn’t let the strawberry and rhubarb season go by without baking at least one Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. The sweet taste of the strawberries with the tart taste of the Rhubarb is delicious. There is very little prep time with this recipe, but it does require quite a bit of baking time. The taste of this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe is excellent, the family loved it, and it is going on my favorites list. If you have some fresh strawberries and Rhubarb available, give this one a try, it is well worth the effort. Enjoy
|Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe||
- Your favorite pie crust recipe or refrigerated 2 piece crust from store.
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red rhubarb, fresh
- 2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries (in larger pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter (small cubes)
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water (egg wash)
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, zest and juice of lemon, dash of cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well in a large bowl.
- Place bottom crust in pie plate and add the rhubarb and strawberry mixture and dot the top of the filling with the butter.
- Brush edges of pie crust with the egg wash.
- Place the top crust over filling, and seal the edges, and brush with egg wash.
- Collar the edges with foil and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and the filling starts to bubble.
- Cool and serve-Vanilla Ice cream and hot pie-Delicious