Sweet potatoes are good tasting and healthy but for some reason I don’t put them on the menu except during the holiday season. Thanksgiving is less than a month away so I decided it was a good time to post this Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe. This recipe is a great side dish for anytime of the year, it’s simple to put together, requires very little prep time, and cooks fairly quickly.
If you’re looking for a change from the traditional candied sweet potatoes recipe give this Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe a try. Enjoy-adapted from Cook’s Country Magazine.
- 2 pound sweet potatoes (cut into 1/ 4 inch cubes-or quartered and thinly sliced)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut up sweet potatoes and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter and then mix in the sugar, 1/ 4 teaspoon pepper, 1/ 2 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons of cream. Cook covered over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender. (This should take 40-45 minutes)
- To mash the potatoes stir in the other tablespoon of cream, and mash using a potato masher or electric mixer.