Pizza burgers have always been one of my family favorites, but in the past we have purchased them premade frozen from the store. When I saw this Grilled Homemade Pizza Burger Recipe it gave me a good excuse to fire up the grill and try something I have never tried before. My main concern was how well the burger would seal around the cheese to keep the melted cheese from running out. To my surprise it worked out very well. I followed the recipe as written using mozzarella cheese for the filling but I think you could use any kind of cheese you want, such as a pizza blend, and it would be very good. If you like pizza burgers give this Grilled Homemade Pizza Burger Recipe a try; it’s not that hard, and you and your family will love it. Enjoy
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
4 hamburger buns
1/2 cup pizza sauce (warmed)
1. Grease or spray the grill grates and preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. In a large bowl mix together ground beef, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
3. Divide burger and form into 8- 1/4 inch thick patties.
4. Press 1/4 cup of the cheese into a ball with your hands, flatten, and Press the cheese into 4 of the patties. Then cover with the other patties on top. Pinch and press the edges together to seal.
5. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
6. Place hamburger patties onto the grill and cook for 11 to 14 minutes, turning once, until the hamburgers are fully cooked.
(During the last few minutes of cooking, place hamburger buns cut sides down on the grill, and cook until toasted.)
7. Place burgers on the bottom halves of the buns. Top with pizza sauce and the mushroom mixture. Cover with the top halves of the buns.
Makes 4 burgers