Oven baked meatballs, marinara sauce, and provolone cheese, create these delicious Italian Meatball subs.
This is a great game day recipe, or a simple recipe for lunch or supper. The original recipe calls for Italian sub rolls, but if you don’t have them available hoagie buns work out just fine. This recipe makes 4, if you need more double the recipe.
- 1 ¼ pound ground chuck
- ¾ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 hoagie buns (or 6 inch Italian sub rolls)
- 1⅓ cups marinara sauce (your favorite brand)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (sliced thin)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lightly beat the eggs in the bottom of a large bowl. Place the burger on top of the eggs and then add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder; using your hands mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide meat mixture into 12 - 2 inch meatballs and place on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads an internal temperature of 160F, and meatballs are browned. Remove meatballs to a plate and discard any accumulated fat. Line now empty baking sheet with parchment paper, slice buns, and place 3 meatballs on each bun. Pour ⅓ cup marinara sauce over the meatballs on each bun and top with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven and cook until heated through and cheese is melted – serve hot.
Adapted from Cooks Country