I served this One Dish Chicken and Cheese Gravy Recipe with hash browns and it was delicious. The chicken was nice and moist and the cheesy gravy couldn’t have been any better; this one will go on my favorites list.
This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require much prep time, but it does take a while to cook. This is a mildly seasoned recipe with most of the seasoning coming from the condensed soup. I think it would be okay to add a little pepper, but be careful of the salt, because there is plenty of sodium already in the soup and cheese. I used smoked paprika in this recipe, but if you don’t care a lot for the smoked flavoring you can use regular, or eliminate it altogether.
Give this One Dish Chicken and Cheese Gravy Recipe a try; you and your family will love it. Enjoy
- 1 cut up frying chicken (3 – 3½ pounds)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 can mushrooms (stems and pieces drained)
- ⅔ cups evaporated milk
- 1 condensed can cream of mushroom soup (10½ ounces)
- ¾ pound Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked Paprika
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- While oven is preheating place the butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish and place it in the oven to melt the butter; remove the baking dish from the oven when the butter is melted.
- Place the flour in a disposable plastic bag and shake the chicken to coat. Place the chicken in the baking dish skin side down and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, turn the chicken, and continue baking for another 15 – 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- While the chicken is baking in a medium size sauce pan mix together the soup, milk, and cheese; salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Pour out any excess fat from the baking dish; spread the chopped onion over the chicken, and then top with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with paprika, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 20 minutes.