We have had a great year for berries here in Upper Michigan. Hot weather for most days and rain about one day a week. Our blueberry, raspberry and blackberry plants producing just an unreal amount of berries. I love homemade ice cream. This Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe was a great way to use some of the fresh berries. A beautiful color with a fresh delicious blackberry flavor. It is a simple recipe. Most of the time is used letting the ice cream mixture cool before putting it in the ice cream machine.
I have a small ice cream machine. My only regret was it was not big enough to double the recipe. Enjoy
Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. Mix blackberries and 1/2 cup sugar in small saucepan. Bring to low boil, simmer 5 minutes to dissolve sugar and break up berries. Cool slightly.
- Puree berry mixture in blender.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe-picture-21/”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Blackberry-Ice-Cream-Recipe-picture-21.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 21″ alt=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 21″][/url] [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe-picture-22/”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Blackberry-Ice-Cream-Recipe-picture-22.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 22″ alt=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 22″][/url]
- Press puree through fine sieve to remove seeds. Discard seeds. Set puree aside.
- Mix egg yolk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup half and half in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly (about 5 min).
- Whisk remaining half and half, all of cream and cinnamon and vanilla into cooked mixture.
- Whisk in blackberry puree.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe-picture-61/”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Blackberry-Ice-Cream-Recipe-picture-61.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 61″ alt=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 61″][/url] [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe/blackberry-ice-cream-recipe-picture-62/”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Blackberry-Ice-Cream-Recipe-picture-62.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 62″ alt=”Blackberry Ice Cream Recipe picture 62″][/url]
- Cool and chill the ice cream base mixture for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Pour cold mixture into electric ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer’s directions
- Serve garnished with fresh Blackberries if desired.