If you wonder how to make chicken pot pie, you’ve come to the right place. All you need to start is chicken, potatoes, carrots, and a pre-made pie crust. Cook the chicken, onions, and potatoes until soft, add the carrots and celery, and cook for two more minutes. Sprinkle poultry seasoning over the mixture, and stir in flour. When everything is well-cooked, place the pie crust on top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden.
Once you’ve made the filling and added the other ingredients, the chicken pot pie is ready to bake. The crust should be browned but not burnt. Then, you can set the pie in the oven. Once the pie has baked, let it cool. Then, serve it warm or serve with a salad. It’s the perfect comfort food! But don’t be fooled by the many shortcuts.
Start by chopping the onions, celery, and potatoes. You should also prepare the filling, including shredded chicken and frozen vegetables. Add the flour, bullion paste, and butter, and then combine everything when it’s done. Cover the pie with a pie shield or a piece of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least three days, or freeze it for up to 3 months. Then, thaw it and roll it out. You can prepare the ingredients and bake the pie the same day or the next. You can also refrigerate the dough overnight and make it the next day. To save time, use leftover meat and vegetables. You can also add poultry seasoning and finely chopped fresh sage to improve the flavor. Then, bake the chicken pot pie according to the instructions. Just remember to keep it refrigerated.
What Is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken Pot Pie – the ultimate comfort food is this traditional homemade chicken pot pie. The most excellent comfort dish is chicken pot pie. Shredded chicken (or turkey), veggies, and a creamy sauce are baked into a buttery, flaky pie crust. It has a familiar flavor. All of the time, and the guys enjoy it. When we inform kids we have chicken pot pie for dinner, they’re ecstatic. Because they are eating PIE for dinner, they don’t even whine about eating their vegetables. Nothing else matters.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie?
The process of making chicken pot pie is simple. All you need is a pie crust and ingredients cooked on the stovetop. Once the ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, the sauce is cooked, and the filling is placed inside. You can use leftover meat and vegetables to customize your recipe. Depending on the type of dough you use, you can use a canned or frozen pie crust. Once the pie is prepared, it can be baked ahead of time.
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie
- If you don’t have any leftover turkey, you can substitute chicken. Josh generally buys a rotisserie chicken for quick chicken pot pie and shreds the chicken to make the stuffing.
- And, since you spent all week making homemade pie crusts, I completely understand if you want to cheat and buy a store-bought pie crust. This chicken pot pie crust is the best, but store-bought will suffice.
- Chicken pot pie freezes quite well. After the boys have a couple of slices for supper, I usually freeze the rest to reheat leftovers for lunch or busy weeknights.
- After the vegetables are cooked, add the chicken and frozen vegetables, and stir well. Add the seasonings. Then, cook the chicken in the microwave or on the stove, or bake it in the oven. Then, cover the pie with a lid or foil and place it in the oven. Then, bake it as directed. You can freeze leftover pot pies for later use. Then, reheat the pies in the oven and bake them as desired.
Make this traditional chicken pot pie when you’re in the mood for comfort food. It’s a hit with my kids, and I hope you’ll enjoy it as well. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover turkey. The perfect post-holiday supper is turkey pot pie.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This is an old-fashioned, classic chicken pot pie with a beautiful homemade crust prepared from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust. To make the crust, place a small square of foil on a baking sheet. Place the ramekins in the oven, and press the pastry onto them. Then, cut off the excess pastry, leaving an inch or two on each side. Then, set aside the ramekins until you are ready to assemble the pot pies. When the ingredients are combined, add the chicken stock and the garlic. Boil for about ten minutes until the liquid has thickened.
How Can I keep The Crust Of A Potpie From Getting Soggy?
You can do a few things to avoid a soggy pie crust! Here are some suggestions:
- Prebake (or blind bake) the crust before filling in a single-crust pie.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will aid in sealing the crust and prevent the liquid filling from soaking into it.
- While the filling is still hot, pour it onto the crust and bake the potpie right away. The filling’s heat will aid in the crust’s setting.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Because heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures a crisp and golden brown bottom crust.
What Makes A Chicken Pie Different From A Chicken Pot Pie?
Some people in the South distinguish between chicken pie and chicken pot pie. Chicken pies, often known as “chicken and pastry,” are savory versions of fruit pies or cobblers cooked with a handmade crust and few vegetables. Vegetables are usually included in chicken pot pies, with only a top crust. Chicken Pot Pie was a convenient one-dish freezer-friendly supper into which I crammed a lot of additional vegetables.
What Is In A Chicken Pot Pie?
Cook your chicken breasts or use shredded cooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken. Butter and flour are used to form the roux or gravy sauce basis. Onion, carrots, mushrooms, and peas are just a few of the vegetables in this dish. Garlic and parsley — These aromatics, along with a dash of salt and pepper, bring this delicious pie to life. Chicken pot pie is a classic comfort dish, and it’s the perfect meal to warm you up in the cooler months, with thick gravy, crisp carrots, and loads of chicken inside a flaky crust.
First, crockpot it to the freezer. Once you’ve preheated the oven, pour the sauce into the pie. If the pie is too hot, you can add more water and cook it until it reaches the right consistency. Then, add the chicken and the vegetables. After that, stir in the shredded chicken. Ensure that the chicken is cooked through before adding the crust. If the pie is too soft, remove it from the oven and let it cool. Before baking the chicken pot pie, prepare the topping. You’ll need two-thirds of the ingredients: onion, celery, and carrots.
To make the crust, you should saute the vegetables until they are translucent. Then, add the chicken and freeze the vegetables. You can also bake the chicken pot pie whole, and you can cook it in the microwave if the filling is already frozen. But it would help if you let the pie stand at room temperature for a few minutes before serving it.