Oven baked meatballs, marinara sauce, and provolone cheese, create these delicious Italian Meatball subs.
This is a great game day recipe or a simple recipe for lunch or supper. The original recipe calls for Italian sub rolls, but if you don’t have them available hoagie buns work out just fine. This recipe makes 4 if you need more double the recipe.
Italian Meatball Subs Recipe
- 1 ¼ pound ground chuck
- ¾ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 hoagie buns (or 6-inch Italian sub rolls)
- 1 1/3 cups marinara sauce (your favorite brand)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (sliced thin)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lightly beat the eggs in the bottom of a large bowl. Place the burger on top of the eggs and then add the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder; using your hands’ mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide meat mixture into 12 – 2-inch meatballs and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads an internal temperature of 160F, and meatballs are browned. Remove meatballs to a plate and discard any accumulated fat. Line now-empty baking sheet with parchment paper, slice buns, and place 3 meatballs on each bun. Pour 1/3 cup marinara sauce over the meatballs on each bun and top with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven and cook until heated through and cheese is melted – serve hot.
Adapted from Cooks Country