Jiffy cornbread is a classic Southern staple found at most grocery stores. This dry mix is a quick and easy way to prepare a moist, fluffy cornbread. This tasty treat is best served with a side of pinto beans or a cup of soup. Here are some of the nutrition facts for Jiffy cornbread. In addition to being delicious, the mix is also great for weight loss, and it’s easy to find more than a few recipes for cornbread with low-calorie content.
Jifi Cornbread Nutrition Facts
Jiffy cornbread nutrition facts tell you exactly how much of the ingredient you’re eating. The dry mix has 330 calories, and the ingredients are all-natural, based on a 35-year-old female weighing 144 pounds.
That’s about as much as a single serving of Jiffy cornbread can contain, but don’t worry, it’s still good for you! The company says it has added antioxidants and sour cream, making it an excellent choice for weight loss.
What Is Cornbread?
Cornbread is a form of bread made from cornmeal, which is ground-dried corn into flour. It’s usually topped with butter and eaten alongside soup, stew, or chili and can be sweet or savory. Cornbread may also contain all-purpose flour, eggs, oil, and baking powder in addition to cornmeal.
Other sweet variations may present other components, such as honey and brown or white sugar. Cornbread, unlike other forms of bread, does not include yeast. It’s referred to as fast bread since it rises quickly. It’s straightforward to make, and the crisp, delectable crust may be baked in a pan, cast-iron skillet, or Dutch oven.
Where Is Jiffy Cornbread Made?
Jiffy is a brand of baking mixes produced by the Chelsea Milling Company in Chelsea, Michigan, since 1930. Previously, the enterprise was known as Chelsea Roller Mill.
They’re known for packaging their items in a compact, identifiable box with the brand’s emblem in blue. Mabel White Holmes invented Jiffy, the first premade baking mix in the United States.
How Many Calories Are in Jiffy Cornbread?
The JIFFY product line of boxed mixes is manufactured by the Chelsea Milling Company in Chelsea, Michigan, and includes cake mixes, crust mixes, frosting mixes, multi-purpose mixes, and several muffin recipes. All you need is an egg and some milk to make quick and easy cornbread using the JIFFY corn muffin mix.
A 1/4-cup, or 1.3-ounce, corn muffin mix contains 150 calories, with 40 calories from fat. The identical 1.3-ounce serving contains 170 calories, including 50 calories from fat, when baked with additional milk and egg.
Benefits Of Eating Cornbread
Cornbread has several potential health benefits:
Good Source Of Phosphorus
Phosphorus is abundant in cornbread, with each serving containing about 20% of the daily value. Phosphorus, the second most abundant mineral in the body, is necessary for various bodily functions. In truth, phosphorus is an essential structural component of bones and teeth and requires DNA creation, energy storage, and pH regulation.
A phosphorus deficit, though uncommon, can have significant health consequences, including bone loss, muscle weakness, reduced immunity, and more. People with medical disorders that influence their bodies’ ability to control phosphorus, such as kidney disease, should see their doctor before making dietary changes. They may need to limit their intake of high-phosphorus foods, such as cornbread.
Selenium, an essential vitamin that also serves as an antioxidant, is abundant in cornbread. Selenium is essential for thyroid function, and thyroid hormone production protects against oxidative cell damage and reduces inflammation.
Additionally, getting enough selenium in your diet can help with reproductive health and may impact fertility and sperm quality. Low levels of selenium during pregnancy, according to one study, may hurt fetal growth and be linked to an increased risk of disorders like preeclampsia.
Simple And Versatile
Cornbread is simple to make and takes only a few ingredients, regardless of your cooking experience. It doesn’t take long to rise because baking powder is used instead of yeast, and it may be made considerably faster than other forms of bread.
Cornbread comes in various flavors, so you can customize this side dish to your preferences. For example, if you prefer savory cornbread, you may play around with components like green onions, bacon, and cheese to see what works best for you. Those with a sweet tooth can flavor it with a pinch of brown sugar or drizzle it with honey or jam.
Disadvantages Of Eating Cornbread
Although cornbread can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet, there are a few drawbacks to be aware of.
- For starters, cornbread made from a commercial mix with refined flour has a lot of carbs — roughly 33 grams per slice — but just 2 grams of fiber.
- While carbohydrates are a crucial source of energy for the body, certain people, such as those with diabetes or those on a low-carb diet, may need or desire to keep track of their intake.
- Furthermore, most cornbread is a refined grain, which means that the flour used in its preparation does not contain all three portions of the wheat kernel.
- Refined grains are not only lower in fiber than whole grains, but they have also been linked to higher levels of inflammation and blood sugar.
- Furthermore, despite the availability of gluten-free variants, most cornbread contains gluten, a kind of protein found in grains such as wheat, barley, and rye.
- While most people can safely consume gluten, those who suffer from gluten-related diseases should avoid gluten-containing foods to avoid unfavorable health consequences.
- Finally, remember that some cornbreads, notably those that are processed or store-bought, may be rich in sodium.
- High sodium intake can raise blood pressure, especially in persons who are more susceptible to the effects of salt.
- Making your cornbread from scratch or opting for a boxed mix made with whole grains rather than refined cornmeal will help you get more vital nutrients like fiber and health benefits.
Cornbread is a quick bread made from cornmeal, flour, oil, baking powder, and eggs. Despite its high carbohydrate and sodium content, it contains several vital nutrients, including phosphorus, selenium, and B vitamins. It’s also adaptable, simple to prepare, and maybe eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Jolly Time Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- Product Type: Grocery
- Item Package Dimension:8.001 cm L X14.198 cm W X23.190 cm H
- Item Package Weight:1.588 kg
- Country Of Origin: United States
The nutritional information for Jiffy cornbread might assist you in selecting the ideal side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas feast. Cornbread from the company is well-known for its excellent taste and quality.
As a result, a Jiffy dinner is a fantastic option for anyone. It’s not only tasty, but it’s also healthy. If you’re concerned about the calories in your favorite dish, a vegetarian version is an option.