New York Strip Steaks are one of my favorite cuts whether it’s for grilling, in the broiler, or cooking in the frying pan. They always turn out tender, juicy and full of flavor.
I used 2 New York strip steaks in this recipe but it would be easy to double the number of steaks if necessary without doubling the rest of the ingredients – just use a larger frying pan. You will have a few fewer mushrooms and sauce to cover the steaks, but it still should be plenty.
The next time you decide to put steaks on the menu, if you want to change things a little bit from the normal steak recipe, give this New York Strip steak with Baby Portabella Mushrooms Recipe a try; it’s really good.
New York Strip Steaks with Baby Portabella Mushrooms Recipe
- 2 New York Strip Steaks (about 3/4’s of a pound each thick cut)
- 1 package baby portabella mushrooms (8 ounces sliced)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh time (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mince the garlic, shallot, and set aside; and then chop the time and set aside.
- Salt and pepper the New York Strip steaks to taste. In a large ovenproof frying pan using 2 tablespoons of the oil cook the steaks on medium-high heat about 6 minutes on each side until golden brown. Move the skillet to the oven and continue cooking to desired doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the frying pan to a serving platter and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet add the other tablespoon of vegetable oil if needed. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and season with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook on medium-high heat until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the shallot, thyme, and minced garlic; cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the Marsala wine scraping any pan drippings from the bottom of the pan. Add the Worcestershire sauce and cook over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to about 3/4’s of its original volume and then stir in the lemon juice. (Mixture may start to thicken a little bit be careful so you don’t scorch it.)
- Serve the mushrooms and sauce over the steaks