In the past the only chance I have had to work with wild rice was in combination; such as in the Uncle Bens seasoning packets. When I ran into some of the pure wild rice on sale I decided to give it a try. The texture of the wild rice is quite different then the long grain rice and I thought that it was pretty good. If you use the pure version of wild rice be sure to allow enough cooking time because it does take a lot longer to cook.
There are a number of wild rice recipes I wanted to try-so the first one I picked was this Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole adapted from Food Network.
There is not a lot of prep time in this recipe, but because of the wild rice, there is a lot of cooking time. I followed the recipe as written and the shrimp were cooked perfectly, and the combination of flavors was delicious. If you’re in the mood to try a dish that’s a little different, give this Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole recipe a try. Enjoy
- 1 (8-ounce) package wild rice (8-ounce about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the wild rice according to package directions. Drain
- While the rice is cooking chop up the vegetables and garlic. In a large skilled using the butter cook the vegetables until tender. Cover and keep warm.
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a116.jpg”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a116.jpg” alt=”Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-7093″][/url] [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a216.jpg”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a216.jpg” alt=”Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-7094″][/url]
- Pre-heat oven to 325
- In a medium sauce pan using 2 cups of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; bring the water to a boil and cook the shrimp for 1 minute. Drain (Shrimp should be light pink)
- [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a312.jpg”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a312.jpg” alt=”Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-7095″][/url] [url href=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a410.jpg”][img src=”http://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/a410.jpg” alt=”Shrimp and Wild Rice Casserole Recipe” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full wp-image-7096″][/url]
- In the fry pan with the cooked vegetables add the cream of mushroom soup, 1 1/ 2 cups cheese, rice and shrimp. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, top with the remaining cheese, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.