1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
5 tablespoons soy sauce (divided, more is desired)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons shortening
1 3/4 cups water, divided
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon molasses (do NOT omit)
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
1 lb bean sprouts (or more)
1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onion (optional)
blanched almonds, lightly toasted
1. Cut meat into thin strips.
2. Combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with sugar, blend in 1 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp oil; mix to blend.
3. Pour over pork strips; toss well to coat, marinade in mixture for 20 minutes.
4. In a wok or large sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons shortening; brown the meat lightly on all sides in hot shortening, add in the chopped garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add remaining 4 tbsp soy sauce and 1-1/2 cups water; simmer, covered on low heat for 45 minutes.
6. Add in the celery and onions; simmer for 15 minutes more.
7. In a small bowl, blend in remaining cornstarch with 1/4 cup water; stir into meat mixture.
8. Add molasses, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and mushrooms and heat thoroughly.
9. Season with salt and pepper.