You’ve probably had a taste of British sausage rolls in your lifetime. Traditionally, they were much more significant and served as the main course. Still, these sausage rolls are now delicious appetizers and a quick meal. If you like sausage, you can experiment with other ingredients, including different types of sausage, vegetables, or even other flavors. And you can make them ahead of time and freeze them for easy access when you need a quick dinner.
Sausages can be cooked in vegetable oil or a skillet; they will be very moist and soft if you use panko breadcrumbs. If you’d like to make them even easier to slice, you can roll them in parchment paper or greased foil. If you’d prefer a smaller serving, you can make your sausage rolls in mini cupcake tins. Roll a puff pastry sheet into a circle, cut it into four quarters, and fill each quarter with two teaspoons of mashed potatoes. Next, add the sausages.
What is Sausages and Puff Pastry?
Make puff pastry sausage rolls if you want a quick and easy recipe. Because the puff pastry can be purchased frozen, thaw it first. Then, along the fold lines, fold the pastry sheets in half. Fill the puff pastry sheets with the sausage mixture, then top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown, then sprinkle with thyme.
They can be served hot or at room temperature. Cut the sausage meat into small pieces to make the sausage rolls, leaving room for the sausage to expand. Apply a thin layer of egg wash to the tops of each piece of pastry before placing it on the baking tray. Cook for approximately 22 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the baking tray halfway through the cooking process to check for doneness. For a sweet treat, serve these delectable appetizers with a side of honey mustard dressing.
Best Recipe Ever – Sausages and Puff Pastry
A party or Christmas isn’t complete without a delicious sausage roll! With tangy red onion marmalade, wow your guests with this tried-and-true recipe. It can be made and frozen before baking; it is great for unexpected guests!
- 1 x 320g pack Jus-Rol™ Puff Pastry Sheet
- 10 (approx 600g) good quality Cumberland sausages (or similar)
- 1tbsp Red onion marmalade
- One egg yolk
- 1tbsp milk, a handful of sesame seeds
- Baking tray
- Pastry Brush
- Also, preheat the oven to 220°C (200C in a fan oven) 4to 25°F, Gas Mark 7.
- Unroll the pastry and cut down the middle lengthways.
- Remove the sausage skins and combine with the onion marmalade in a mixing bowl.
- Place half of the sausage meat down the center of each length of puff pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yolk and milk with a fork and brush down one side of the puff pastry. Roll the pastry around the sausage meat using the egg to seal the edges.
- Chill for 20 minutes; at this point, they can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 2 days or frozen for up to a month (defrost thoroughly in the fridge before cooking).
- Place each piece on a lightly oiled baking tray and cut it into eight sausage rolls. Brush the remaining egg mixture over the tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Allow for 5-10 minutes of resting time before serving.
Can I Make These Ahead of Time?
Yes! This is a fantastic option for having these on hand for a quick appetizer or snack! These can be frozen, cooked, or uncooked, but uncooked will last longer in the freezer! To assemble them, follow the standard instructions. Then, place them on a baking sheet in the freezer for about 1-2 hours, or until completely frozen. Please remove them and place them in a ziplock bag or sealed container with a label. They can be frozen for up to three months. Cook as directed on the recipe card after thawing them in the fridge. You can also cook them from frozen, but reduce them to 30-40 minutes.
How do you Keep Sausage Rolls Crispy?
Glaze the pastry with a generous egg wash to ensure crispy sausage rolls. An egg wash is a beaten egg brushed onto the pastry’s surface. The pastry will crisp up nicely, giving it a golden appearance and flaky crunch. You must also ensure that the oven is preheated to the proper temperature before cooking. As a result, your sausage rolls will cook evenly and quickly. If your sausage rolls are soggy, it could be due to your sausage selection. More oil and liquid are produced by higher-fat sausages, which can make the bottom of your sausage roll pastry soggy and wet.
This can be avoided by selecting a lower-fat sausage. Choose a high-quality sausage as well. Sausages containing less than 70% meat should be avoided.
Can you Reheat Homemade Sausage Rolls?
Once cooked, leftover sausage rolls can be reheated. Instead of using the microwave, reheat them in the oven. The oven will ensure that they cook evenly and crisp on the outside. Your sausage rolls are likely to get soggy in the microwave. If you’re reheating sausage rolls from the fridge, follow our recipe’s instructions for time and temperature. If you’re reheating frozen sausages, add about 10 minutes to the cooking time. Use a skewer or a sharp knife to pierce the sausage’s center. It should be warm to the touch, indicating that the sausage has been thoroughly warmed.
How to Store Sausage Rolls?
Although sausage rolls are best served and eaten the same day, leftovers can be wrapped in clingfilm, tin foil, or stored in an airtight container for up to one day. Both cooked and uncooked sausage rolls can be frozen. Uncooked sausage rolls will keep for up to three months in the freezer. They can be cooked frozen or thawed in the fridge and then cooked as described above. This should take about 30-40 minutes. Cooked sausage rolls can be frozen for one month and reheated directly from the freezer. Reheating suggestions are listed below.
Can you Make it Allergy Friendly?
You can make it allergy-friendly:
- Dairy-Free: Make sure to use vegan pastry and buy sausages that don’t contain any dairy (they shouldn’t anyway, but we all know how companies love to add extra unnecessary ingredients!)
- Egg-Free: Use a milk wash rather than the egg glaze.
- Gluten-Free: Several gluten-free, ready-made pastries are available to buy now. Double-check the freezer section if you are struggling. Also, ensure that the sausages that you buy are gluten-free.
The majority of major supermarkets and brands have now removed gluten from their better quality sausages as standard, so this shouldn’t be too much of a problem now.
Before placing the sausage meat, brush the pastry with chutney or caramelized onions for added flavor. Try adding a pinch of chilli powder, smoked paprika, or even finely grated apple to your sausages for extra flavor. These delectable pastries are best served with a dipping sauce or ice cream. There are numerous ways to serve these delectable appetizers, but there is one surefire way to ensure that your dinner is successful. You can freeze leftover puff pastry for up to three months if you have any from previous baking.
You can then reheat them whenever you want. They’re simple to make and make excellent appetizers. These delectable treats can be made ahead of time and saved for special occasions. They’re deliciously served warm or at room temperature with ketchup for a special treat. They can also be frozen and reheated at any time.