If you want to know about rum, you have on the right side; in this article, you will get all the crucial information about rum nutrition facts. Rum is a spirit prepared from sugarcane molasses or juice that has been fermented and distilled. The clear distillate is typically aged in oak barrels. Most rum is made in the Caribbean (notably in Jamaica and Cuba), North and South American countries, and other sugar-producing areas.
There are many grades of rum. Light rums are often used in cocktails, but “golden” and “dark” rums were traditionally taken straight or plain, frozen (“on the rocks”), or in cooking but are now more regularly mixed. Premium rums are designed to be drunk straight or over ice.
Rum Nutrition Facts
Rum can help you maintain a healthy and robust heart, and it also helps to lower cholesterol levels in the body. It’s also a fantastic drink for preventing peripheral artery disease and is a blood thinner, so it can help avoid arterial blockages, heart attacks, and heart disease. Below is a list of rum nutrition facts:
What are the Health Benefits Of Rum?
- For all you rum connoisseurs out there, there’s some good news. Rum consumption in moderation is good for the heart, in various studies.
- Yes, you read that correctly. Rum can help you maintain a healthy and robust heart, and it also helps to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- It’s also a fantastic drink for preventing peripheral artery disease and is a blood thinner, so it can help avoid arterial blockages, heart attacks, and heart disease.
- A modest amount of rum will help you eliminate a sore throat.
- A tablespoon or two of rum daily can aid in treating a common cold, and this is due to rum’s important antibacterial qualities, which aid in the successful treatment of colds.
- Blood sugar levels are believed to be lowered by consuming a spoonful of rum daily.
- The therapeutic effects of rum have been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes.
- When drunk in moderation, rum can aid in treating and preventing muscle discomfort.
- Rum drinking can aid persons with muscular discomfort by increasing bone mineral levels in the body, which can help avoid muscle soreness, osteoporosis, and arthritis.
- Simply put, stronger bones lead to stronger muscles, and rum can aid in treating minor muscle aches and pains.
Keeps Scurvy Away
- Returning to our history lesson, rum was the only alcoholic beverage provided to the British Navy to prevent scurvy (a disease caused by vitamin C deficiency).
- Those with impaired immunity were also encouraged to drink a peg or two of the beverage.
- Have you injured yourself and don’t have any antiseptic on hand?
- Rum works well as an antibacterial! It can be used to clean wounds and inhibit the growth of bacteria.
- When used topically and eaten, it is a powerful pain reliever. Reduces the likelihood of mental illness
Reduces The Risk Of Mental Disease
- Rum can help prevent Alzheimer’s disease and dementia if eaten in moderation (up to one and a half ounces per day), but only when consumed in moderation.
- According to studies, persons who consume moderate amounts of rum have a 38 percent lower risk of developing kidney cancer than those who do not use rum.
- Furthermore, studies have indicated that drinking rum can help prevent thyroid cancer and lymphoma.
Rum for De-stressing
- Anxiety is reduced by a single 1.5 oz serving of rum, and rum is an effective sedative in addition to its warming and soothing qualities: good night and a smidgeon of rum to help you sleep tight.
- Aside from the numerous health benefits of rum use, there is also a famous beauty technique.
- Rum is the answer for everybody who suffers from acne and pimples, and its antimicrobial and relaxing properties help eliminate germs.
- Apply a 1:2 mixture of rum and rose water to the afflicted regions. After 5-10 minutes, rinse gently.
Is It Healthy To Consume Rum Daily?
With the help of Rum, Alzheimer’s and dementia can be avoided. Excessive alcohol use can be hazardous to your health, especially your brain. As a result, you should only drink rum in moderation (up to one and a half ounces per day).
Your risk will be reduced due to this. According to one study, if you drink more than the guidelines allow regularly, you’re more likely to develop liver problems. Moderation is the key. You can’t expect to become exceptionally healthy by drinking a lot of rum every day and making sure you consume a well-balanced diet, and exercising regularly.
Unfortunately, as qualified dietician Laura Krebs-Holm points out, consuming too much alcohol, including rum, can harm your liver. She told The List, “Chronic heavy drinking can lead to alcoholism, fatty liver disease, and cirrhosis.”
How Much Rum Is Considered Safe?
On days when alcohol is used, the Guidelines indicate that adults of the legal drinking age choose not to drink or drink in moderation, limiting intake to 2 drinks or less per day for males and one drink or fewer per day for women, to reduce the risk of alcohol-related hazards According to a survey, most people are unaware that their drinking habits may increase their cancer risk.
However, according to a new PLOS Medicine study, having one or two drinks per day isn’t that bad, and keeping it to three drinks per week is the healthiest.
As a result, the safe limit’ for alcohol consumption in men is 21 units per week (1 unit equals 25 ml of whiskey), whereas, in women, it is 14 units. There should be no more than three units consumed in a single day and at least two alcohol-free days per week.
Which Is Better, Whisky Or Rum?
In popularity, whiskey is far and away from the most popular drink, with far higher sales figures than rum, both revenue and volume. Whiskey has a lower calorie count than rum. Rum is typically blended with other drinks, such as soda or ginger ale, but whiskey is frequently enjoyed.
Both drinks come in various flavors, so it’s worth seeing which one you like. Is rum more potent than bourbon? No, rum is not mightier than whiskey because it typically contains 40% alcohol. On the other hand, whiskey has 40% to 60% alcohol.
Another reason to drink rum is that it acts as a blood thinner and can even help with peripheral artery disease. It can even help you avoid heart attacks if you consume it as long as you consume alcohol in moderation. Helps with Muscle Soreness: A glass of rum can help you avoid muscle pain.
Where Does Rum Come From?
Rum is thought to have originated in the West Indies and was first recorded in Barbados around 1650. They were dubbed “kill-devil” or “rumbullion” before being dubbed “rum” in 1667. Rum is a distilled liquor from sugarcane products usually made by sugar production.
It encompasses light-bodied rums from Cuba and Puerto Rico and richer, fuller-flavored rums from Jamaica. Rum is a spirit prepared from sugarcane molasses or juice that has been fermented and distilled.
The clear distillate is typically aged in oak barrels. The majority of rum is made in the Caribbean and North and South America, although it is also made in other sugar-producing countries, including the Philippines and Taiwan.
Is Rum Beneficial To Diabetics?
If you combine them with alcohol, your blood sugar levels may lower dangerously. Hard liquors contain no carbs when drunk alone; however, they can cause low blood sugar levels. They should not be consumed on an empty stomach or mixed with sugary drinks.
Wines have fewer carbs than beer, and thus they may have a less noticeable effect on blood sugar levels. Whiskey, vodka, rum, and gin, for example, contain no major carbohydrates and hence should not raise blood sugar levels.
Heavy drinkers who cut back to moderate drinking can reduce their systolic pressure (the top number in a blood pressure reading) by around 5.5 mm Hg and their diastolic pressure (bottom number) by about 4 mm Hg. If you have high blood pressure, avoid alcohol or drink it in moderation.
Is It True That Rum Has An Expiration Date?
Rum is a relatively stable spirit that will keep its quality and flavor if left unopened. Unless you keep it in an unsealed container next to a radiator or direct sunlight, rum may be preserved for years without becoming bad once opened.
A rum bottle that hasn’t been opened won’t spoil, and rum that hasn’t been opened can last for decades. However, once the bottle is opened, the rum disappears quickly. Master rum distillers at Seaspirits Distillery advocate sipping rum within six months of opening it.
The alcohol that has passed its expiration date does not make you sick. You will almost likely detect a flavor change in alcohol that has been open for over a year. While rotting wine tastes vinegary or nutty but isn’t harmful, flat beer has an unpleasant flavor and might make you queasy.
Rum is one of the oldest spirits available, steeped in Caribbean heritage and culture and British naval history. Until a few decades ago, rum use was a lifesaver for armies at battle and seamen at sea.
Who can forget the famous ‘rum tot’ that sailors were given to keep their bodies and bones warm? Rum was once considered a necessary beverage for those who worked at sea. Let’s look at what your favorite rum drink can do for your health now that you’ve learned a little about its history.