If you’re thinking about buying Optavia Fuelings, you must be curious about the ingredients in each serving. These meal substitutes are portion-controlled, low in calories, and contain all the essential nutrients as a typical meal. Therefore, eating more than one serving is simple and won’t deprive you of important nutrients. Optavia is promoted as a weight-loss or maintenance program that demands consuming a combination of prepared “lean and green” meals and commercially produced, processed foods the firm calls “fuelings.”
To assist you to learn their “Habits of Health,” which they have patented, Optavia also provides coaching. Additionally, the strategy suggests engaging in daily moderate-intensity activity for roughly 30 minutes. Once your weight loss objectives are attained, the company eventually provides a backup plan for weight loss maintenance that customers can sign up for.
What is Optavia Diet?
With packaged ingredients, cooked meals, and individualized coaching, the low-calorie, low-carb Optavia diet promotes weight loss.
The program offers a variety of options, all of which combine prepackaged Optavia Fuelings with cooked entrées referred to as Lean and Green meals. The company also offers a range of prepackaged, low-carb meals under Flavors of Home as an alternative to Lean and Green meals for folks who don’t enjoy cooking.
This diet claims that it makes weight loss more convenient while eliminating uncertainty. Lean proteins and non-starchy vegetables are the main components of the diet, and sweets and high-calorie foods are strongly discouraged. Experts do not advise the diet.
Versions of the Diet
The Optavia diet includes two weight loss programs and a weight-maintenance plan:
- Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan- The most popular plan, this version includes five Optavia Fuelings and one balanced Lean and Green meal each day.
- Optimal Weight 4&2&1 Plan- For those who need more calories or flexibility in food choices, this plan includes four Optavia Fuelings, two Lean and Green meals, and one snack per day.
- Optimal Health 3&3 Plan- Designed for maintenance, this plan includes three Optavia Fuelings and three balanced Lean and Green meals per day.
The Optavia program provides additional tools to aid weight loss and maintenance, including tips and inspiration via:
- Text message
- Community forums
- Weekly support calls
- An app that allows you to set meal reminders and track your food intake and activity
The business also offers specialized programs for nursing mothers, senior citizens, teenagers, and those with diabetes or gout.
Optavia provides these customized regimens, but it’s unknown whether this diet is safe for those with particular medical concerns. Teenagers and those who are nursing or chest feeding have particular calorie and nutrient requirements that may not be satisfied by the Optavia diet.
What are Optavia Fuelings?
Products sold under the Optavia brand that is high in protein, low in carbohydrates, and probiotic-enhanced and may improve gut health are known as Optavia Fuelings).
Over 60 Optavia Fuelings are available to pick from, including bars, cookies, shakes, puddings, cereals, soups, and portions of pasta.
Fuelings produce low carb, high protein versions of common foods like vanilla milkshakes and mac & cheese using sugar alternatives, smaller serving sizes, whey protein powder, and soy protein isolate.
How to Follow the Optavia Diet?
The first step in joining Optavia is to speak with an Optavia Coach on the phone. During this phone conversation, you’ll select an Optavia diet plan, establish weight loss objectives, and become acquainted with the program.
The Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan, an 800–1,000 calorie diet that the firm says can help you lose 12 pounds (5.4 kg) over 12 weeks, is where most individuals begin when trying to lose weight.
You must follow the 5&1 plan, which calls for 5 Optavia Fuelings and 1 Lean and Green meal each day. The regimen advises including 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week and eating a meal every two to three hours.
The 5&1 plan also allows for one additional daily optional snack, which your Coach must endorse. Three celery sticks, 1/2 cup (60 grams) of sugar-free gelatin, or 1/2 ounce (14 grams) of nuts are all acceptable snack options under the plan.
Here’s what one day on the Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan could look like:
- Fueling 1: Essential Golden Chocolate Chip Pancakes with two tablespoons (30 ml) of sugar-free maple syrup
- Fueling 2: Essential Drizzled Berry Crisp Bar
- Fueling 3: Essential Jalapeño Cheddar Poppers
- Fueling 4: Essential Homestyle Chicken Flavored & Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Fueling 5: Essential Strawberry Shake
- Lean and Green Meal: 6 ounces (172 grams) of grilled chicken breast cooked with one teaspoon (5 ml) of olive oil, served with small amounts of avocado and salsa, plus 1.5 cups (160 grams) of mixed cooked veggies like peppers, zucchini, and broccoli
- Optional snack: 1 fruit-flavored sugar-free fruit pop
The 4&2&1 plan, which calls for 4 Optavia Fuelings, 2 Lean and Green meals, and one snack each day, is an alternative if you’d like more freedom.
Ordering Optavia Fuelings
Since Optavia Coaches get paid on commission, you’ll order all of your Fuelings using a link from your Coach.
There are two kinds of Fuelings to choose from:
- Essential Fuelings. Optavia’s versions of classic American dishes and flavors include Cheesy Buttermilk Cheddar Mac, Wild Rice & Chicken Flavored Soup, and Essential Creamy Vanilla Shake.
- Select Fuelings. The website describes these products as “diverse and delicious flavors from around the world.” Select Fuelings include Spinach Pesto Mac & Cheese and Honey Chili Cranberry Nut Bar.
What can Eat in a Lean and Green Meal?
Lean and Green meals are homemade meals designed to be high in protein and low in carbs.
Here’s what a Lean and Green meal should include:
- 5–7 ounces (145–200 grams) of cooked lean protein
- Three servings of nonstarchy vegetables
- Up to 2 servings of healthy fats
The program also includes a dining out guide that explains how to order a Lean and Green meal at your favorite restaurant.
Foods Allowed in your Daily Lean and Green Meal
- Meat: chicken, turkey, lean beef, game meats, lamb, pork chop or tenderloin, ground meat (at least 85% lean)
- Fish and shellfish: halibut, trout, salmon, tuna, lobster, crab, shrimp, scallops
- Eggs: whole eggs, egg whites, Egg Beaters
- Soy products: only tofu
- Vegetable oils: canola, flaxseed, walnut, olive oil
- Additional healthy fats: low-carb salad dressings, olives, reduced-fat margarine, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, avocado
- Low carb vegetables: collard greens, spinach, celery, cucumbers, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, peppers, spaghetti squash, jicama
- Sugar-free snacks: popsicles, gelatin, gum, mints
- Sugar-free beverages: water, unsweetened almond milk, tea, coffee
- Condiments and seasonings: dried herbs, spices, salt, lemon juice, lime juice, yellow mustard, soy sauce, salsa, sugar-free syrup, zero-calorie sweeteners, 1/2 teaspoon only of ketchup, cocktail sauce, or barbecue sauce
Foods to Avoid – Unless Included in the Fuelings
- Fried foods: meats, fish, shellfish, vegetables, sweets like certain pastries
- Refined grains: white bread, pasta, biscuits, pancakes, flour tortillas, crackers, white rice, cookies, cakes, pastries
- Certain fats: butter, coconut oil, solid shortening
- Whole fat dairy: milk, cheese, yogurt
- Alcohol: all varieties
- Sugar-sweetened beverages: soda, fruit juice, sports drinks, energy drinks, sweet tea
How to Prepare the Optavia Diet & Tips?
The Optavia Diet offers consumers its selection of branded items, just like other meal replacement plans. The most widely used and designed for quick weight loss is the 5&1 plan. 2
Users of this regimen consume five Optavia fuelings and one lean and green meal with few calories each day.
The 3&3 plan (3 fuelings + 3 lean and green meals) and the 4&2&1 are two additional programs offered by Optavia (4 fuelings, two lean and green meals, and one snack). These programs are for people who want to maintain or gradually lose weight.
A Lean & Green meal consists of three non-starchy vegetables, up to two servings of healthy fats, and five to seven ounces of prepared lean protein. Your choice of protein’s fat content will determine how much fat you consume.
You should eat at least two meals of fatty fish high in omega-3 fatty acids each week. Your Lean & Green meal can be eaten anytime you like, and you should eat it every two to three hours.
You will include servings of fruit, low-fat dairy, and whole grains in your Lean & Green meals once you’ve met your weight goal.
Pros of the Optavia Diet
The main health benefit of following an Optavia plan is rapid weight loss, particularly for people who need to lose a significant amount of weight.
- Convenience: Buying pre-portioned, packaged foods can be easy and convenient; there is little need to count calories or carbs. A simple formula for creating your meals at home is also convenient. Instead of calorie counting, you will count portions of specific foods, which makes meal tracking easier.
- Reduced overweight and obesity risks: Losing weight fast has two positive health benefits: People tend to lose more weight and have an easier time keeping it off. If you have a lot of weight to lose, getting it off rapidly can help enhance your results and provide a greater chance of long-term results. Being overweight or obese can increase the risk of several diseases. Among them are high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, osteoarthritis, and various types of cancer.4 Losing just 5% of body weight can help reduce these risks.
- Improved blood sugar and cholesterol levels: While some health experts recommend a more gradual weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week, there are some times when a faster rate is preferred. For example, studies have connected rapid weight loss with improved lipid and glycemic profiles.6 This means that losing weight faster may be better for people with cholesterol and blood sugar issues threatening their health. However, this study also found that body composition changes were better with slower loss rates.
- Coaching support: Optavia also offers support through its coaching program, which some users may find helpful. Coaching might help you keep on track, increasing the likelihood of success.
Cons of the Optavia Diet
There are also some potential downsides to Optavia’s plan that could adversely affect your health.
- Nutrient deficiency: This diet may cause nutrient deficiency if calorie levels are too low for too long. In addition to restricting calories, Optavia plans to limit food groups, including fruits, vegetables, and whole grains—all of which provide important vitamins and minerals.
- Reduced sports performance: Dropping weight quickly can also reduce sports performance. Although many athletes (fighters, specifically, in this case) want to reduce their body mass, doing so too fast can impair their performance while also risking their health. A very low-calorie diet will not likely support an athlete’s rigorous training program. Some health experts suggest that if an athlete wants to lose weight, it’s best to do it in the off-season when training demands are reduced.
- Sales pressure: Coaching “support” can also be a drawback, and critics have called the plan a pyramid scheme because of its multi-level structure. Users who complete Optavia’s program are encouraged to become coaches, sell the company’s products, and recruit new sales representatives, which can be a turnoff for potential customers.
- Cost: The plans can be expensive; 5 fuelings will cost you about $17, not including tax and shipping (or the groceries you buy for lean and green meals).
- Hunger: Losing weight this way can be very uncomfortable and may not be sustainable. Low-calorie diets typically cause extreme hunger, fatigue, and other undesirable symptoms. Experiencing hunger can make it more likely for you to be tempted to eat outside the diet plan.
The Optavia Diet’s extremely low-calorie eating plans may help you lose weight, but it’s unknown if it will persist. Make sure you can follow any meal replacement diet before starting one.
Learn about healthy eating if you choose Optavia to lose weight permanently. Before beginning such a low-calorie diet, speak with a medical practitioner. Additionally, you can talk about your weight reduction objectives and whether losing weight is beneficial. Always choose a healthy diet that complements your lifestyle.
Keep in mind that many diets, especially long-term ones, are unproductive. We present information to help you choose a diet that fits your nutritional needs, genetic makeup, financial situation, and goals.